ADJUSTING THE CLUTCH ON TC 88**
At the 1000 mile service interval, and at every 5000 mile
service interval thereafter, adjust the clutch as follows:
Perform the clutch adjustment with the motorcycle at
room temperature. The clearance at the adjuster screw
will increase as the power train temperature increases.
If adjuster screw is adjusted while the powertrain is hot,
clearance at pushrod bearing could be insufficient with
power train cold and clutch slippage could occur.
Perform adjustment procedure whenever clutch components
are replaced during normal Servicing. Repeat adjustment
after 500 miles (8OO km) of use.
1. Stand vehicle upright and level.
2. Remove five allen head socket screws (with captive
washers) to free clutch inspection cover from primary
3. See Figure 1-6. Slide rubber boot off cable adjuster.
Holding cable adjuster with 1/2 inch wrench, loosen jam
nut using a 9/16 inch wrench. Back jam nut away from
cable adjuster. Move adjuster toward jam nut to introduce
a large amount of free play at hand lever.
4. See Figure 1-5. Loosen locknut on clutch adjuster
screw. To take up all free play in push rods, turn screw
inward (clockwise) until lightly seated.
5. Back out adjuster screw 1/2 to 1 turn. While holding
adjuster screw with an allen wrench, tighten locknut to
6-10 ft-lbs (8-14 Nm).
6. Squeeze clutch lever to maximum limit three times to set
ball and ramp release mechanism.
7. Turn cable adjuster away from jam nut until slack is eliminated
at hand lever. Pull clutch cable ferrule away from clutch lever
bracket to check free play. Turn cable
adjuster as necessary to obtain 1/16 to 1/8 inch (1.6-3.2
mm) free play between end of cable ferrule and clutch
lever bracket, as shown in Figure 1-7.
8. Hold adjuster with 1/2 inch wrench. Using 9/16 inch
wrench, tighten jam nut against cable adjuster. Cover
cable adjuster mechanism with rubber boot.
9. Remove quad ring from groove in primary chaincase
cover. Wipe all lubricant from the quad ring. Swab all
lubricant from the quad ring groove. Install quad ring in
primary chaincase cover with the nubs contacting the
ring groove walls.
10. Install the five allen head socket screws to secure the
clutch inspection cover to the primary chaincase cover.
Alternately tighten screws to 7-9 ft-lbs (10-12 Nm) in a
Return to Clutch Index
**Copyright © 1999 Harley Davidson, Inc.